Welcome to the first The Coterie Blog Hop. The Coterie is Munaluchi Bridal’s collection of preferred wedding vendors. This month we’re featuring photos, articles and ideas about personalizing your wedding. The complete lineup is listed below so you can visit each blog to be inspired and learn from all of the featured articles.
The Uncontrived Photo Prop
Photography props are an amazing way show your personality through imagery and personalize your engagement portrait and/or wedding day photography. In my experience thus far I’ve found that there are those of us that love props, and those of us that prefer the less is more approach. While I am definitely a fan of incorporating props as a compliment and means of telling the couple’s story, I do also understand reluctance to use them. I’ve found that when some of our couples hear the words “photo prop”, it immediately calls to mind visuals of cheesy, cutesy humor, staged setups and contrived posing; but what if you’re not the silly, cheesy, cutesy type? Should you rule out props altogether? I say not necessarily. To avoid the look of overly staged photos, I believe the key to incorporating props is for the items chosen to have a function and purpose for being there. Here are my Top 12 favorites from past sessions that incorporated props well.
1. FOOD AND WINE. TEA & CRUMPETS
2. LOVE NOTES
Scribble love notes to each other during your session or on your wedding day and watch the magic unfold.
3. STOGIES & SPIRITS
These make for great bonding photo ops.
4. GET COZY UNDER A BLANKET
Getting cozy under a blanket together on cool day makes for a sweet photo op
5. TAKE A BIKE RIDE, CAR RIDE OR WHEEL BARREL RIDE
When the prop can be used it makes sense for the shot.
6. FASHION & PERSONAL STYLE
7. PLAY FIGHT WITH LEAVES OR SNOW OR PILLOWS
8. PROFESSION OR HOBBY RELATED ITEMS
Do you moonlight as a DJ? or play an instrument, are you an accomplished oil painter? Then bring your tools from the trade, profession or hobby to the session and paint together during your session, play your instrument
Ok so people are not items to be used but it can be fun to use passersby to tell the story.NYC is the perfect city to find people, hustling and bustling about, disinterested people, curious people. Using them as your backdrop makes for interesting and cool photo ops.
Now for those who don’t mind a little whimsy, or the look of a planned concept, here are a few other fun prop ideas.
The perfect children’s icebreaker and so much fun.
We used this sign as a way of incorporating the littlest family member in the engagement announcement. Contrived? Yes. Cuteness factor? Off the charts.
The next stop is Sam Jasper Photography Please visit the complete list of the hop participants below. Thank you so much for stopping by.
Munaluchi Coterie Blog Hop Line Up
- N’neka Scruggs, Personalizing Your Wedding Day http://imagesbynneka.com/personalizing-your-wedding-day/
- Kesha Lambert Photography, The Uncontrived Photo Prophttps://keshaphotography.com/2015/05/04/wedding-photo-prop-ideas/
- Sam Jasper, Personalizing your Wedding with Engagement Photos, www.samjasperblog.com/personalize-your-wedding-with-engagement-photos
- Pasha Davis, Personalizing Your Stationery http://www.bridalflavors.com/personalizing-with-stationery/
- Jon’ll Boyd, DIY-ers Do It Best!! http://completelyyoursevents.com/diysdoitbest/
- Eliza Gwendalyn, Personalizing Your Wedding http://elizagwendalyn.com/calligraphy-tips/munaluchi-coterie-blog-hop/
- Victoria Nee-Lartey, Chic Personalization: How to Make Your Wedding All About You www.victoriouseventsnyc.com/blog/2015/5/5/chic-ways-to-personalize-your-wedding